Salvador Vela was born in 1717 in Cerralvo. He was married to Agueda Longoria Chapa and had 7 children. He was the original grantee of Porcion 90 – Starr County. His brothers in law were Pedro Longoria of Porcion 94, Matias Longoria of Porcion 95 and Vicente Longoria also of Porcion 93. see this post
Thanks in advance to Raul Longoria –
Dating from 1892, the Longoria Cemetery in La Grulla was established by the descendants of Pedro Longoria, the original grantee of the land on which the cemetery and La Grulla are located. In 1767, Pedro Longoria and two of his brothers, Matias and Vicente, received adjoining land grants from the King of Spain. Located on the north side of the Rio Grande River, Pedro’s grant was designated as Porcion 94 and consisted of 4649.8 acres; his brothers were granted the adjoining Porcion 93 consisting of 7971 acres. Initially, most of the grantees of porciones on the north side of the Rio Grande maintained their permanent residences in Camargo, established in 1750 on the south bank of the Rio Grande. The village’s location south of the river and its higher concentration of people provided more protection from marauding Comanche and Apache Indians from the north. The land grants were used to graze cattle, sheep and goats and otherwise provide for their owner’s livelihood, but the only structures built there were probably “jacales”, primitive structures constructed from logs of the native mesquite and other woods. The jacales provided protection only from the elements of nature.
It was not until 1836 that a grandson of Pedro, Juan Longoria, moved to establish a permanent residence on the north side of the river in Porcion 94.
Today’s community of La Grulla, Texas, is located on the site of that original settlement on Porcion 94. As the community grew, residents who died were taken back across the river to be buried in cemeteries in Camargo or the smaller ranching communities. The Longoria cemetery was founded in 1892 when Juan Longoria died, fulfilling his dying wish to be buried on his own land. Among those interred in the “bovedas”, or burial vaults, are Juan Longoria (1808-1892), his wife Yrinea Villarreal (1813-1892), and his mother Maria Nicolasa Flores (1780-1885). –Online Comments by Raul N. Longoria Feb 2002;.
The La Mesa Cemetery was established in 1894. The cemetery is located about 9 miles west of Rachal, Texas. It is in on FM 755. It is about 2 miles north of the road. The cemetery is on private land and a private road leads to the cemetery. The land is owned by Trinidad De Luna Cantu, one of the heirs of Vivian De Luna and Juanita Perez De Luna. Juanita was the grand-daughter of Manuel Perez Gonzalez. The cemetery is dedicated to the memory of Manuel Perez Gonzalez.
Manuel Perez was the grandson of Pedro Joseph Perez and Maria Manuela De La Garza. Pedro Joseph was the owner of Porcion 74 in Camargo. He bought the land grant from Pedro Lugo, his cousin. Manuel’s parents were Jose Maria Perez and Juana Longoria Gonzalez. Manuel Perez was also a great-grandson of Don Matias Longoria (Original Grantee of Porcion 93 (West Part) in Camargo, Tamaulipas, Mexico and Margarita Hinojosa. Juana Gonzalez, the daughter of Gertrudis Longoria and Jose Joaquin Gonzalez, married Jose Maria Perez.
Manuel Perez bought a league (4,428.4 acres) of La Encantada grant from Gregorio Villarreal on September 25, 1873 for $500.00.
Thanks to The South Texas Heirs of Las Porciones for republishing permissions.
more from Mrs. Fowler Facebook Page :